Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Big Momma Thorton

I am just now really comin' to know about Big Momma Thorton , I was introduced to her music while watching one of those Time Life infomercials ...they had a soundbite of Hound Dog, I was blown away!!! The weight in her voice, her timing, her confidence, the way she slammed her lyrics ...I only wish I could have seen her and other great woman like Mahalia Jackson and Sister Rosetta Thorpe. I can relate to these woman on so many levels and they encourage me in some fashion most everyday.
But one thing's for sure, Elvis should have looked out for Big Momma after topping the charts with her song, Hound Dog. There's no way she should have died broke and busted in some boarding house out in LA. Shame one Elvis and same on the whole industry!
Also, Janis Joplin had a major big hit called "Ball and Chain", that was written and song by Big Momma.
Please take time to visit youtube and watch some of these clips. Lets not forget the folks that helped pave the way.
RIP Big Momma!

3 comments:

  1. I didnt know she wrote other song janis joplin too. Its a shame she didnt get compensated for what she put out. Hound Dog made him very popular and help put him on the map. wow what a shame she basically lived in a room for rent. Wow. Nice Blog Rettie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rettie Soniya is me Sis Sonia. Just so you know. lol But I figured out the problem I had to be signed into my gmail account in order to post a comment. But this is good keep them coming. Much Success!

    ReplyDelete